Creating Excel files on Linux

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Wed Sep 12 04:34:03 EDT 2001

Hi,

Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> schrub:
> Roman Suzi wrote:
>> The only hope is to convince gov's to use free software as happens in
>> the West.
>
> I'm not too sure about "the West" -- there's a lot of non-free
> software in governmental use around here (and now that, as a part of
> the recent government, we had the guy who headed Microsoft Italia
> until joining said government, my personal hopes that this will change
> have gone down:-).

> Rather, it seems to me that China is pursuing a strong policy of
> free-sw use (in their case the point being definitely the
> free-as-in-beer part), and France may be heading in the same direction
> (in _their_ case, the desire of resisting American cultural hegemony
> is probably uppermost).

At least in Germany, there appeared some open-source movement in the
gouvernment. One of the pushes surely is the more expensive licence
policy Microsoft has exposed, another one is security: In the times of
echelon etc, the German state and economy doesn't really trust in US
software - at least those few who care about security at all.

markus
--
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty