Identation idiocy (was Re: Why so few Python jobs?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Sep 25 00:04:17 EDT 2001

Dave Swegen wrote:

> At my workplace python is viewed with extreme suspicion by the
> software engineering people for one simple reason: They're extremely
> suspicious of the indentation issue (see my earlier post on this).
> Apart from that they think it seems like a fine language. Ho hum. I'll
> get there in the end.

I _really_ can't understand this kind of attitude, other than as
being representative of the mentality that judges a book by its
cover.  The indentation "issue" is a *non* issue, and even in this
newsgroup where most of the complaints from newcomers probably
show up, there has been remarkably little said against it.

Personally, I read about the indentation "issue" before I even
saw Python, thought "neat!", and decided to give it a chance.
I haven't looked back and have *never* had a moment's complaint
about indentation in Python.

All this without even mentioning the serious *advantages*
of Python's style of indentation.

I consider people like the suspicious ones at your workplace
to be a strong competitive advantage in favor of _my_
workplace! :-)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com