building PoPy on Win32

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Fri Sep 21 12:33:08 EDT 2001

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:42:22 -0500, Carlos V <carbono at iteso.mx> wrote:
>Hey everyone,
>
>I'm trying to build the PoPy module on a Win2k system so I can use it with
>Zope.

I'm not a PoPy user, but I do pyPgSQL development on Windows, so I have some
experiences in this field:

If you plan to use a native win32 Zope, be prepared for a lot of trouble. I
don't know if Zope can be built with Cygwin, but getting all running on native
win32 is tough. Problems on native win32:

- You'll need a natively built libpq library for linking against the PostgreSQL
  libpq. Probably best to to go with 7.2-CVS here. I have made Makefiles to
  build libpq/win32 with mingw32 instead of Visual C++. I can send you these if
  you want to have them.

- You'll need to either learn how to cross-compile from Cygwin to native win32
  to build PoPy with the current autonconf based build procedure (if you find
  out the appropriate compiler and configure switches, please tell me, I didn't
  get this to work with PostgreSQL)

  -- or --

  You'll need to make your own build process for PoPy on win32. I'd try to
  write a setup.py file, that should probably work just as well as the autoconf
  stuff they currently use.

If you want to try this, good luck!

>[...]
>When I try to run the configure script for PoPy I get an error message that
>says:
>
>--snip--
>checking for mxDateTime.h... no
>configure: error: PoPy needs mxDateTime headers
>--snip--

>From what I see, PoPy includes these headers in a mx subdirectory.

>I thought the DateTime stuff came with Python.

No, it doesn't. It's made by Marc-Andre Lemburg (egenix.com).

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    public key at homepage