scanf style parsing

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sun Sep 30 18:04:52 EDT 2001

In article <9p4a4f$kdd$1 at inputplus.demon.co.uk>,
Ralph Corderoy <ralph at inputplus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>An easy, sure fire way for any programmer to learn regex concepts is to
>read Kernighan and Plauger's _Software Tools_ where, amongst many other
>interesting topics, they implement a regex pattern matcher and preceed
>to use it in their versions of grep, ed, etc.

The problem is that this gives a narrow view of regexes and doesn't show
the full power available in complex regex languages in Perl/Python.
Much better is _Mastering Regular Expressions_ by Jeffrey Friedl, though
it badly needs freshening.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.