Any rrdtool.py out there?

Doug Stanfield DOUGS at oceanic.com
Fri Sep 28 18:59:22 EDT 2001

'rrdtool' is an integral tool in the belt of any network manager today.
This package, written by Tobi Oetiker (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/),
is used to manipulate RRD files.  From the home page at
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/:

"RRD is the Acronym for Round Robin Database. RRD is a system to store and
display time-series data (i.e. network bandwidth, machine-room temperature,
server load average). It stores the data in a very compact way that will not
expand over time, and it presents useful graphs by processing the data to
enforce a certain data density."

Unfortunately while there is a Perl binding for the package there doesn't
appear to be one for Python, even though the author claims so in the man
page documentation.  This means there is a body of packages that all use
Perl with rrdtool, but nothing done in Python.  As well, when I try to
customize or pull data out of files, I'm having to use popen and the like
from Python.  Thats adding some overhead of text processing and manipulation
that I'd like to avoid.

Is anyone aware of a Python module to manipulate rrd files with the rrdtool
package?  Failing that, has anyone worked on or looked at what it would take
to produce any part of such a module?

Thanks,

-Doug-