Long int too large to convert?

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Thu Sep 13 14:26:59 EDT 2001

[Superseded because of Typo]

Hi,

fbasegmez <fb at ultranet.com> schrub:

> I thought the xrange could handle the long integers. Then I tested it

> ...   print i
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
> OverflowError: long int too large to convert
>
> My first question was; too large to convert to what?  Now I realize
> (thanx to your response) that range or xrange is trying to convert the
> long integers to integers.  I think I would be less surprised if I got

> ...   print i,
> Error. xrange start and stop values must be integer.  Or something
> like that.

I just agree to this, changeing the message to something like
> OverflowError: long int too large to convert to integer
would make it definitely much more readable.

Although I don't see any reason (other than easier implementation) to
disallow long ints here, and hope for the upcoming int/long unification
in this point.

markus
--
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty