Learning Python (was Re: (no subject))

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Thu Sep 13 23:21:42 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: polygis

> Hello,
> I am a Land Surveying student at the Kenya Polytechnic. I came across your
> website from a link from www.remotesensing.org and I was very interested.
> I am currently undertaking a project in geodesy where I am to develop a
program
> to convert geodetic co-ordinates (longitude, latitude and altitude) to
plane
> co-ordinates (X, Y and height) and vice-versa.

Math.  Yuk :-)

> What I would like to know is: -
> How much time is it going to take to learn python with experience of
programming
> in BASIC and FOTRAN?

Shouldn't be bad at all.

> Can python support scientific and mathematical computations such as
iterations,
> obtaining values of a particular item from list of a predefined set to use
in an
> equation?

Python has powerful, full-featured mathematical and data type support;
further,
your applications sound like candidates for Numeric Python.  Visit

    http://numpy.sourceforge.net

for more on that.

> What problems would I be likely to encounter?

Bad habits from BASIC and FORTRAN :-)

Your first Python programs will seem very easy to write (if your experience
is
anything like mine) but after you work with Python for a while, you'll
discover
that those first programs look really ugly.  There really is a Zen to
Python, or
maybe better, a Dao of Python.  We often refer to it as the "Pythonic way"
of
doing things.

Have fun.  Python is the most enjoyable language I've ever used, and the
most
productive.