Migrating from PHP to Python...

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue Sep 4 00:45:47 EDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Joal Heagney wrote:

>Joal Heagney wrote:
>> > Actually, I was referring to PHP's ability to assign names dynamically to
>> > variables. For example:
>> >
>> > $var = 'hello';
>> > $$var = 'world!';
>> > echo $var . ' ' . $$var;    // prints 'hello world!'
>> > echo $var . ' ' . $hello;    // prints 'hello world!' too

If I had a need to migrate from PHP, the abovementioned kind
of mess were my priority ;-)

I just can't think why it need to be transfered to Python.

>> You mean like this?

>'world'

What about:

>>> var = 'hello'
>>> var2 = 'world'
>>> globals()[var] = var2
>>> hello
'world'

but then again, this is all tricks and IMHO the main reason to drop PHP in
favor of Python is more intensive separation of logic from presentation.
It makes web-sites more maintainable.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Tuesday, September 04, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/