shelve vs pickle

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Mon Sep 17 16:04:09 EDT 2001

Sheila King wrote:

> Doesn't using ZODB require using some sort of server (database server
> and/or web server?)?

Sheila-

I have only the barest of experience with ZODB (and that on a Mac),
but here goes....

If you use the basic "FileStorage" storage class in ZODB, it just
reads and writes from a file in your file system.  That's all I've
used; I don't have any access to a database server.  Also, I may be
wrong here, but I believe ZODB uses pickle to store objects; but it
provides a sophisticated yet simple "front end" to help you automate
storage and retrieval of complicated objects.

Peace,
Tom Loredo