String Comparisons returning score

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun Sep 2 09:42:19 EDT 2001

    Clayton> I am aware of soundEx.py / .c which is based on the grammar and
    Clayton> phonetics of words, but from what I have read it seems to be
    Clayton> flawed..  and thus removed from the python standard library.

Not removed because it was flawed, but because it wasn't really
general-purpose enough for continued inclusion.  The soundex algorithm was
original meant to group similar sounding surnames together.  While you can
apply it to different string scoring applications, it probably won't be as
good as it is at surname grouping.  It's also a bit dated.  I suspect there
are much better scoring algorithms out there even for the surname problem.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com)
http://www.mojam.com/