deiconify is just plain f*ucked in windows

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Wed Sep 5 00:24:52 EDT 2001

On Wed, 05 Sep 2001 02:38:22 GMT, gcash
<gcash at luncheonmeat.cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>being iconified, it *might* popup on top.  Otherwise it pops up on the dead
>bottom of the window stack, and lift() doesn't do a goddamn thing.  It just
>sits there blinking the taskbar icon until you flip through and give it the
>focus.
I think you're using Windows 2000 :) Its a "feature" that "prevents
applications from stealing the focus" (their wording, not mine). You
can read about it in MSDN. To me its just a plain annoying BUG.

Even though I disabled this in tweakui (and in the registry, and using
SetSystemInformation()), the sh** system *still* will blink apps if
one of them blocks the message loop. You know, the taskbar seems to
send messages to each app (to query status or icon or whatnot) and if
an app doesn't respond (eg because its main thread is blocked), it'll
BLOCK ALL OTHER APPS.

>Even though it seems focus related,  focus_force(), focus_set(),
>grab_set_global() don't help.
My experience, too. None of the APIs to disable this behaviour work
100%. I have no idea if they fixed that in XP.

One solution - no idea if this works in Tk - is to make your dialog
"system modal". Then it will be on top of the food-er-window chain.