PEP 269

Samuele Pedroni pedroni at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 13 17:09:04 EDT 2001

Hi

personally I have the following concerns about PEP 269:
- if it's purpose is to offer a framework for small languages
support, there are already modules around that support that
(SPARK, PLY ...), the only advantage of PEP 269 being speed
wrt to the pure python solutions, because of the use of the internal
CPython parser, OTOH the other solutions are more flexible...
- or if's purpose is to help experimenting with the grammar
unless support for adding keywords is added is a quite unfinished tool.

Further the PEP propose to use the actual AST format of parser module
as output format. To be honest that format is quite awful, especially
for general purpose use.

It should be considered that Jython does not contain a parser
similar to CPython one. Because of this jython does not offer parser
module support. So implementing the PEP for Jython would require
writing a Java or pure python equivalent of the CPython parser.

My plans for resolving the lack of parser module support were to
to implement an higher compatibility layer based on the AST format
of tools/compiler, a more nicer format.

PEP 269 adds issues to this open problem, which I would like to
see addressed by future revisions and by further discussions.

I can live with PEP 269 implemented only for CPython, for a lack
of resources on Jython side, if is to be used for rare experimenting
with the grammar.

But it seems, as it is, a rather half-cooked solution to offer a module
for mini language support in the standard library.

regards, Samuele Pedroni.