Python a good thing for sysadmins

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Sep 6 23:12:50 EDT 2001

Chris Barker wrote:

> Aurelien wrote:
> > I'd like to know if Python could be used for system administration. And
> > if there are people out there who use it for that.
>
> It sure can, and we sure do...
>
> Note that Python is overkill for many simple tasks, you should probably
> stick with shell scripting for the simple stuff. However, if you are
> like me, you can only keep a few languages in your head at a time, so
> you may want to use Python for everything.

And if you're like me, it is Python and Python alone which
allows you even to function in the Unix environment.  I've
used it on and off since the 70s and never learned much more
about the shell than how to change the prompt, and that
filename globbing is (usually) automatic...

The effort of learning the idioms and inconsistencies of
any shell scripting language would make the shell approach
the less desirable one...

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com