GUI?

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at idi.ntnu.no
Sun Sep 23 16:28:41 EDT 2001

"Sam Scholey" <scholey at totalise.co.uk> wrote in message
news:biir7.7040$Ck.1317321 at news6-win.server.ntlworld.com...
> Hi There, I am a programming newbie and was told that Python would be a
good
> first language because of its extensive documentation and clean, readable
> code. Anyway, it sounds great as a scripting language and I wanted to know
> if Python can create GUI applications?, perhaps using GTK?

Even though it's in its early stages, you might want to take a look
at Anygui (http://anygui.sf.net), which is a simple gui api which works
with several backend packages (pythonwin, tkinter, wxpython,
gtk++, bethon, jython/java swing) and will probably deal with many
more in the future (forthcoming is Qt, for instance).

The system is a bit incomplete at the moment (lacking some features that
we are working to include), but all the abovementioned backends work,
and you can write fully functional gui programs that will automatically
detect which backend is present, so your programs will work whether
the user has installed Tk, GTK, Java, wx etc.

(Some things that are currently missing/not fully operational but will
appear: Menu system, full event system, native dialog classes like
file dialogs, full model/view separation, proper handling of defaults.)

--

  Magnus Lie Hetland         http://www.hetland.org

 "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in
  it, doesn't go away."           -- Philip K. Dick