Question regarding commenting code

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Thu Sep 6 13:16:21 EDT 2001

Andrew Gould wrote:

> When adding comments to scripts, can I insert lines of comments inside a
> loop block?  For example:
>
> for n in a_list:
> # separate values using spaces as delimiters
>         a_line = string.split(n)
> # get the first value
>         a_value = a_line[0]
> # print the first value
>         print a_value

of course, this is legal (comments are ignored by the interpreter, but I
have a couple of comments (yuk, yuk).

A) you are over commenting, but for a newbie, it may be OK

B) it will be a lot more readable if you indent you comments along with
the code. Remember that in Python , the indentation defines the block
structure:

for n in a_list:
    # separate values using spaces as delimiters
    a_line = string.split(n)
    # get the first value
    a_value = a_line[0]
    # print the first value
    print a_value

C) relating to B): in emacs Python mode (I don't know about other
editors, comments with a single # will influence the auto indentation. I
you do want to put a comment in that doesn't effect the indentaion, you
need to use two #s (##)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,