Creating Excel files on Linux

Maan Hamze mmhamze at pleiades.net
Sat Sep 8 15:09:48 EDT 2001

"Oleg Broytmann" <phd at phd.pp.ru> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
>    Completely offtopic. Sorry, I cannot resist. Well...
>
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 11:04:37AM -0500, Maan M. Hamze wrote:
> > living in.  I am not defending Microsoft here, but I am being realistic.
>
>    In you realism you said many bad words about people and companies.

Care to give an example?  Maybe companies, yes.  But people?!?

> don't want to be that kind of "realist". I want to be an idealist. Only
> idealists can change the world. Realists seems to be slaves of the status
> quo. (I am not flaming you, don't take it personnaly.)

One has to straddle both ends of this spectrum.  You know, we have to make
**a living** in a real world.  We are not living exactly in a
Pushkin/Lermentov kind of world :)  Idealism is fine, but one fine day I got
quite sick and tired of being broke and there are student loans to be paid
too.

> > transparent.  We do not live in such a world.  We live in a world
controlled
> > by greedy corporations, let it be Sun or Microsoft or the late Netscape.
>
>    That why instead of just being realistical slaves we must oppose them
> and create the free world.

I happen to agree with you here.  And that is how I view ourselves as
navigating in a corporate world but creating our own Pythonic world too :)

> > We live in a world of arrogant men and greedy corporations, and they
play

>    Thanks goodnes I am not. I live in the world of nice, creative, open,
> very helpful people. Gvido van Rossum, Eric Raymond, Linus Torvalds (to
> name a few most notable persons); and they are not only brilliant
> programmers - they are idealists who are changing the world. Linux and
> "Computer Programming for Everybody", Python and Free Software Movements!

Believe me if I do not appreciate such people, I would not have convinced
the people who work with me to use Python, and I would not be posting to
this group.
Maan