SWIG: ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function

Louis Luangkesorn lluang at northwestern.edu
Sun Sep 16 23:23:34 EDT 2001

I'm trying to run the example from the SWIG User's Guide (V 1.1 June 23,
1997)  When I try to load the example I get the following:

PythonWin 2.1 (#15, Apr 19 2001, 10:28:27) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32.
Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond (MarkH at ActiveState.com) - see
'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.
>>> import sys
>>> sys.path.append('c:\lluang\gmcode\cnumint\debug')
>>> import cnumint
Traceback (most recent call last):
ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (initcnumint)

I've noticed on various mailing lists several people have asked this
same question, but I have not seen anyone respond to this.  Is there
something I'm missing?  Thanks.

Oh, when I compile, I get a "Bad command or file name" error, but the
dll continues to compile with a 0 errors, 0 warnings message.  Thanks
for your help.

Louis

SWIG Version 1.3.6u-2001
MSVC++ 6
Settings: (teken from Ch 9: SWIG and Python Pg. 163
cnumint.i
Custom Build -> Commands
swig -python -o $(ProjDir)\$(InputName)_wrap.c $(InputPath)
Custom Build -> Outputs
$(ProjDir)\$(InputName)_wrap.c

Project settings
C++ Preprocessor->Additional include directories
c:/python20/include  (note, I have Python 2.1 installed in my python20
directory)
Defined
__WIN32__

Link -> Output file name