time module error.

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Thu Sep 13 12:27:17 EDT 2001

Des Small wrote:

> (1900, 1, 0, 2, 0, 0, 6, 1, 0)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> OverflowError: mktime argument out of range

> Now, I can easily enough convert hours to seconds in my own code, but
> I don't understand why the above fails.

mktime() can't handle the year 1900 or 1901, but 1902 and so on works.
Oddly enough, if you try to put in 1800, you get:

>>> time.mktime((1800, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 3, 1, 0))
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ValueError: year out of range (00-99, 1900-*)

Which implies that it should handle 1900.

The time() module is just a wrapper around the C time library, whixh is
really pretty limited. so as not to re-invent the wheel, and to get a
lot more power and functionality, I highly recomend mxDateTime:

http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/eGenix-mx-Extensions.html#mxDateTime

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,