Use of GMPY

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Mon Sep 3 11:10:24 EDT 2001

"Patrick" <patrick.fichou at galactica.it> wrote in message
news:9n03in$c6o$1 at pegasus.tiscalinet.it...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use GMPY module but it does not seem to work !? When I
import
> the GMPY module into Python IDE, I get an error message telling me that
one
> DLL is missing, but does not give the name of this missing DLL.

I had last updated the file you downloaded:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gmpy/gmpy-win32-binary-09.zip
on Jan 24, and Python 2.1 was not released then -- only Python 2.0.

So, the windows-binary version of GMPY could only run with Python 2.0.

I've just uploaded a release that runs with Python 2.1 instead:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gmpy/gmpy-win32-binary-09a21.zip

No other changes, except rebuilding it with Python 2.1.  I've also
made a 09a21 release of the sources package, taking the occasion to
fix the doctest (which relied on the error message format from
Python 2.0 -- now it expects the message format of 2.1:-) and add
the setes.py (to be used just like setup.py:-) to build the
"pysymbolicext" sample C-extension to gmpy kindly supplied by Pearu
back in January.

> Can someone help ?

Who better than the author/maintainer, i.e., me?-)  (P.S.: I
wonder why you didn't mail me directly -- isn't my email
in evidence somewhere on the project page...?  Gotta fix
that, if so...!).

> * I use a 2.1 AtiveState version of python 'as it comes from thes
> ActiveState' site,
>
> * I have downloaded the 0.9 version of GMPY and copied the GMPY.PYD and
> PYSYMBOLICEXT.PYD files in my \Python21\lib directory...

Thanks for the details, which immediately enabled me to pinpoint
the problem -- and thanks for your interest in GMPY, too.

Alex