SMTP Auth patch (testers, reviewers needed)

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Sun Sep 9 21:47:33 EDT 2001

This is a shameless plea for help. I've just submitted a patch for the smtplib
module in the Python standard library. The patch adds SMTP authentication
support (methods "CRAM-MD5" and "PLAIN"). It also adds a new cryptographic hash
module "hmac" to the standard library:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=460112&group_id=5470&atid=305470

All this would need some testing from a broader audience than just myself :-)

There is one known problem, i. e. that in case of a login failure, you always
get "500 - Bad syntax". I currently don't know how to fix this. I blame it
either on too much beer or on writing code too late in the evening, or both. If
you know a fix, please let me know.

I tested the patch against my own Postfix MTA and against the German freemail
provider GMX (which uses qmail). Tests against other providers/servers would of
course be useful.

Especially you network programming wizards out there who eat RFCs for
breakfast, could you take a look at the above stated problem and the rest of
the patch?

Thank you,

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    public key at homepage