Want to modify Python to support BIG5 characters in string

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 23 18:11:52 EDT 2001

Chris Tavares:
> Why don't you want to use unicode?

   I think Tiberius wants to write Python source code, not data files, using
BIG5 for string constants which is a common technique in the CJK area. There
is still more infrastructure (editors, operating systems, databases and
other tools) available for DBCS than for Unicode. A small hook in the source
reading code that found '\' trail bytes and inserted a second quoting '\'
would probably be the easiest solution. I don't know the source code of the
interpreter well enough to point to where this hook could be inserted.

   Neil