large class hierarchies in python

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Sun Sep 9 01:05:23 EDT 2001

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Justin Dubs wrote:

> How do you feel about Python as a suitable language for this kind of
> venture?  In case I didn't mention it before, I forget, I'm working with
> Intelligent Agents, one of the many subsets of AI.  Is Python suitable for
> what is very much OO and not at all scripting?

People may call Python a "scripting" language, but that's only because it
doesn't have enough mindshare for them to give it the distinction of being
called a "programming" language. It is, however, a full-fledged programming
language just as much as C and Java and all the rest.

> Also, can you suggest some other good OO languages to learn?  I know
> Objective-C, C++, Java, some Smalltalk and now Python.  What do you think of
> Eiffel, if anything?

Hmm. Unfortunately my OO knowledge is limited to Python, C++, Pascal/Delphi,
and JavaScript, so I can't say anything about Eiffel. I've taken a look at
Ruby, but I'm firmly convinced that it has no real reason for existing. I have
nothing against it, it's just that everything it does can be more cleanly done
in other languages that came before it.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>