Python for SysAdmin tasks

Tobias Klausmann klausman at tuts.net
Sun Sep 9 11:09:50 EDT 2001

Rajarshi Guha <rajarshi at seed.chem.psu.edu> wrote:
> A.A wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to know, how good is python as a language for System
>> Administration ?
>
> Hi,
>   I use Python regularly for my sys admin work. I know I could (and maybe
> should!) use shell scripts, but I just get it all done faster and I don't
> really notice any perfomance problems.

No, you shouldn't =)
Shell scripts tend to be horribly unportable, and you're
never sure if $VENDORs implementation of [bash|ksh|sh]
really does what you think. Stay with good ol' Python and
you know you can smack Guido, Tim or the PSA if anything
isn't as advertised =)

Greets,
Tobias

PS: Yes, Shell One-Liners still have their space.