functional vs procedural list comprehension

Peter Dobcsanyi petrus at pobox.com
Mon Sep 10 06:15:14 EDT 2001

Guido and Tim pointed out that the implementation of a functional
listcomp would be more difficult and I must accept that if they say so :-)

However, I am still not convinced that the current listcomp's semantics
is easier to explain or more consistent semantically than a functional
one.  To me, the way we use a listcomp suggest that it acts like a
function, that is it returns a list. For example:

    print [ {expr_of_x} for x in xs if {logexpr_of_x} ]

    new_list = [ {expr_of_x} for x in xs if {logexpr_of_x} ]

    for item in [{expr_of_x} for x in xs if {logexpr_of_x}]:
        do_something_with(item)

But this appearance is deceptive since listcomps don't really act like
functions. The current semantics can be described (using the last
example) as:

    ys = []
    for x in xs:
        if {logexpr_of_x}:
            ys.append({expr_of_x})
    for item in ys:
        do_something_with(item)
    del(ys)

(It is rather something like a result of a macro expansion.)
That is why I feel some inconsistency between the application (the way
we use it) and the semantics of listcomp.

In contrast, a functional listcomp's semantics would be:

    def expr(x):
        return {expr_of_x}

    def pred(x):
        return {logexpr_of_x}

    def listcomp(expr, ls, pred):
        new_ls = []
        for x in ls:
            if pred(x):
                new_ls.append(expr(x))
        return new_ls

    for item in listcomp(expr, xs, pred):
        do_something_with(item)

What is happening here can be consistently explained with the semantics
of function invocation.

    Peter