Shouldn't urlopen "files" be iterable?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Sep 29 16:55:08 EDT 2001

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 22:54:53 +0400, Oleg Broytmann <phd at phd.pp.ru> wrote:

>> How do you request part of a file via HTTP?
>
>   Using ranges.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed the range header in the HTTP spec
before.  It was mostly an academic question, since whether
urlopen "files" should be iterable or not is (IMO) orthogonal
to whether you can download a partial file or not.  One is a
policy question and the other is a mechanism question.

It's going to be pretty hard to determine whether it "cheaper"
to download the whole thing and discard unwanted portions or to
establish multiple conenctions and send multiple requests.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Oh, I get it!! "The
                                  at               BEACH goes on", huh,