Zope problem with directory structure

kosh at aesaeion.com kosh at aesaeion.com
Sun Sep 9 21:54:17 EDT 2001

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Ken Egervari wrote:

> So is Zope more of a RAD tool for making quick sites?  I can see where it's
> nice if you want to make a small site - but how good is really for doing
> something like amazon.com?  heck, even something along the lines of any site
> with dynamic content from databases.  It just seems that they've made this
> completely new way of developing, that it might only cater to a narrow set
> of programmers.

ZOPE is most properly an OODB driven app server that happens to be very
good at http stuff. I do a lot of dynamic database stuff with ZOPE but
none of that stuff is stored in an RDB all of it is stored in the ZOPE
ZODB. You have full access control lists, persistance, searching etc all
built and and the system is very powerful. However it is very strongly OO.
It is pretty much OO to the point that doing non OO stuff in it is a lot
harder. Pick up the book Object Oriented Methods and read through it. I
think it will give a better understanding of ZOPE if you understand those
systems better.

> A lot of my links and page urls aren't based on the Folder model, but are
> based on database information to generate menus, all types of sections and
> sub-sections and language information for content.  This just seems like a
> harder model to implement in Zope.  What are your comments on this?

Depending on how you want to do things it could be harder. For many things
if you do things properly it is easier. For example when working with
multiple languages why not build an object that keeps all the languages in
it and gives the client the one that you want it to have or gives a
choice? Folders don't literaly exist in zope more approriately you have
container objects when the entire OODB is a set of containers and items
and containers can contain items or other containers. What many find is
that it takes a while to grok ZOPE especially if you have done lots of
highly procedural stuff.

<snipped for brevity>

Kosh