Tkinter + threads = trouble?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Sun Sep 16 16:22:57 EDT 2001

Hi!

I've tried to run threaded program which uses Tkinter for GUI. (Every
graphic operation is guarded by the lock).

The program run well under Linux/X Window (and Python 2.1). But when I try
it under Windows 98 SE... It locks badly. I tracked down that it locks
when one of the threads do variable.set("value"). However, other threaded
programs could not run under IDLE. So I conclude that under Windows
threading and Tkintering are mutually exclusive!

(In fact, threading is incompatible with X win IDLE too, but with less
devastative results.)

It is kinda strange, because as I see it, threading is very useful wuth
GUI: backend does something while GUI reacts to the user's actions.

What else from Python standard library is incompatible with threads?

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Sunday, September 16, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/