Best book on Python?

Rodney Somerstein rodneys at nospam.io.com
Thu Sep 20 23:27:45 EDT 2001

In all of the articles that I have seen discussing Python books I haven't
seen anyone mention Python 2.1 Bible by Dave Brueck and Stephen Tanner.
This largish book seems to offer a fairly comprehensive survey of Python.

While the book doesn't truly seem aimed at beginners, it does cover a
pretty wide variety of topics including Tkinter, wxPython, curses,
playing sounds, processing images, parsing XML, various Internet
protocols, image processing, multi-threading, writing extension modules,
embedding Python, NumPy, distributing/deploying applications and a lot
more.

On the downside, the authors seem to ignore the existence of the
Macintosh and all of their cross-platform discussions focus on Unix and
Windows. Also, the cover of the book says that it "Includes a complete
Python Language Reference." Other than the first few chapters which cover
the core language fairly well, I don't see anything that resembles a
language reference. It seems that there are other books which do this
better.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this book?

-Rodney