"shell-commands" and python!

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Fri Sep 21 19:59:54 EDT 2001

On 21 Sep 2001, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> I don't think he was complaining at such. He was stating that he thought
> Python could be less clunky and hoped someone would come up with ideas
> on how, so they could discuss a possible improvement of the language.
>
> That does not mean necessarily it is possible to solve the perceived
> shortcomings; the proposed solutions may not be desirable for other reasons
> (obscuring matters, for instance). Python in this respect is more careful
> to preserve internal coherence than Perl.
>
> But it does the language and the community no harm to discuss these issues.
> Who knows, we may learn something. It is one way to improve your programming
> language, too.

Ease of redirection and backgrounding has not been a part of Python in the
past, and we have to wonder whether adding those features is an actual
improvement or just a nicety.

In my mind it's just a nicety. If my needs are better met by another tool, I
have absolutely no qualms about using that tool.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>