Python with threads for Cygwin.

Jason Tishler jason at tishler.net
Wed Sep 12 10:55:52 EDT 2001

Phil,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 04:49:37AM -0700, Phil Harris wrote:
> Has anyone ever managed to create a version of Python with threads on Cygwin?

It's funny that you ask, because I'm very close to releasing a threaded
Cygwin Python which will become part of the standard Cygwin distribution.
FYI, threaded Cygwin Python has built OOTB for a couple of months now.
However, until very recently (i.e., today), there were issues with the
Cygwin pthreads support needed by threaded Python.  We believe that they
are now resolved in the latest Cygwin CVS.

BTW, the threaded Cygwin Python issue is covered (i.e., in an somewhat
dated manner) in the README file:

    /usr/doc/Cygwin/python-2.1.1.README

> If so, what is the secret incantation?

The "incantation" is not so secret -- just configure without any special
options (i.e., *don't* specify --with-threads=no):

    $ configure

Your options to get a threaded Cygwin Python, listed in decreasing order
of patience level, are as follows:

1. Wait for both Cygwin 1.3.3 and threaded Cygwin Python 2.1.1 to be
released.  I have no direct control over the Cygwin releases, but I
intend to release a threaded Cygwin Python ASAP (i.e., within a week).

2. Replace your Cygwin DLL with the current snapshot, 2001-Sep-12, which
is available on the Cygwin mirrors (http://www.cygwin.com/mirrors.html).
Replace Cygwin Python 2.1.1 with one that you build yourself from my
patched source which is also available on the Cygwin mirrors.

I guess that various permutations of 1 and 2 are possible too...

Jason