SWIG: MSVC++ [LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "python21_d.lib"]

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Thu Sep 20 03:44:03 EDT 2001

Louis Luangkesorn wrote:

> I searched my Python installation and I don't see a 'python21_d.lib' file
> anywhere.  I've already located the 'python21.lib' as a required library.
> Where should "python21_d.lib" be located, or is this something I need to
> download/write?  Thanks.

python21_d.lib is the debug version of Python.  If you only build the
release version of your extension, you will not need this library.

If you really do need to build the debug version of your extension, you
will also need the _d versions of *all* DLLs and pyd files used by
Python.  If you use ActivePython, then the instructions at
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython/ will get you _d
versions of all such files in the standard ActivePython distribution.

Mark.