scanf style parsing

Steve Clift sgclift at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 27 23:54:30 EDT 2001

A decade or two ago I wrote a sscanf module for just these reasons. It
used to be buried in the depths of python.org, but I haven't checked on
its whereabouts lately. I mostly use it for converting tabular stuff
produced by other programs - the standard approaches (re, split etc) can
be relatively gruesome for this sort of thing. The version currently at
large has a minor bug or two. If anyone wants an updated version, drop
me a line.

I wasn't aware of the Python-dev suggestion, but it invoked a strong
feeling of "I think I've been here before". When I first cooked this
thing up, I suggested to Guido that 'string' / 'format' -> [list] was an
obvious move. He wasn't impressed with the notion, but I don't recall
why.

-Steve