Pythonwin and .NET

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Sep 10 16:03:32 EDT 2001

Ron Stephens <rdsteph at earthlink.net> writes:

> Despite the reservations of a genius, Mark will help secure such a
> place in .NET for Python, that this extension of Python will be one
> of the major reasons for the ultimate advancement of the language
> Python to a pre-eminent role in the further evolution of computer
> science.

Let's just say that I'm a bit less sanguine about this, particularly
after reading the white paper on the ActiveState site that came out of
the initial (MS-sponsored I believe) experimentation with the
integration of Python with the .NET framework.

While I certainly won't question that it will be possible to tie the
two together, it's unclear to me that doing so will be a big draw to
Python given some of the potential uncertainties and possible
restrictions (not the least of which may be performance).

But time will tell...

--
-- David