Is 0 > None?? (fwd) (fwd)

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Tue Sep 4 11:58:42 EDT 2001

Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:05:48 +0200, Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> pisze:

>> c. Have two kinds of comparison, homogeneous and heterogeneous.
>> This solves the complex numbers problem, but unfortunately not the
>> str <-> unicode problem.
>
> It 'solves' the problem of sorting a list that has ONE complex
> number among a zillion other items, but as soon as you have
> TWO complex numbers (no matter whether there's a zillion others)
> you're hosed again.

No, I propose two forms of comparison distinguished statically.
E.g. <=, >=, <, > compare wrt. homogeneous rules (incompatible types
cause exceptions); ==, !=, cmp compare wrt. heterogeneous rules
(tries to be as close to a total order among all object values as
possible - of course a user-defined comparison is able to throw,
but it shouldn't).

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/