GUI frontend IPC question

Duncan Grisby dgrisby at uk.research.att.com
Wed Sep 19 05:26:01 EDT 2001

In article <Pine.LNX.4.31.0109172132290.1656-100000 at cb921.local>,
 Campbell  <cb921 at voice.co.za> wrote:

>I have an app servicing up to 120 'clients' at one time.  I would like
>to make a gui which will display current status of each of the ports
>(idle, active), and some other information.

[...]
>So it all boils down to 'what does IPC look like and what options do I
>have', I guess.  Every program I have written before now, had both the
>display and the inner core, both in one process, so this is very new to
>me.

One of the easiest ways to do IPC is to use CORBA or one of the Python
specific distributed object systems. That way, you model your GUI and
application as two objects which communicate with each other. This
approach is very flexible, since you can run the GUI and applications
on different machines, on one machine in different processes, or even
in a single process when you get a faster machine. It also opens up
the possibility of using a different language for the GUI, if you were
ever so silly as to want something other than Python :-).

Cheers,

Duncan.