confused by bindings

Sam Falkner samf+usenet at frii.com
Thu Sep 20 17:01:27 EDT 2001

Here's what I've found.  I tried four different methods, putting them
into two modules: work and test.  The four methods:

    (1) Borg class,
    (2) class variable, set as self.count,
    (3) class variable, set as Class.count, and
    (4) global-to-module variable.

When I tried this, (1) and (2) failed, (3) and (4) worked.  But, I
went back and re-applied (3) and (4) to my existing application, and
they still failed.

I would have expected all four of these to work, except perhaps (2),
which I would have expected either to work or to fail with a NameError
or somesuch.

Here are the two modules.  My output is as follows:

$ ./test.py -v
testFour (test.WorkTestCase) ... ok
testOne (test.WorkTestCase) ... FAIL
testThree (test.WorkTestCase) ... ok
testTwo (test.WorkTestCase) ... FAIL

FAIL: testOne (test.WorkTestCase)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./test.py", line 13, in testOne
    self.failUnlessEqual(len(junk), b.countone)
  File "/opt/etext/lib/python2.1/unittest.py", line 273, in failUnlessEqual
    raise self.failureException, (msg or '%s != %s' % (first, second))
AssertionError: 5 != 1
FAIL: testTwo (test.WorkTestCase)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./test.py", line 19, in testTwo
    self.failUnlessEqual(len(junk), work.Two.count)
  File "/opt/etext/lib/python2.1/unittest.py", line 273, in failUnlessEqual
    raise self.failureException, (msg or '%s != %s' % (first, second))
AssertionError: 5 != 0
Ran 4 tests in 0.003s

FAILED (failures=2)

Note that I still can't get *anything* to work in my real application.

Can anyone explain what's going on?  Or, if this was discussed a month
or so ago, can someone tell me the subject line, so I can look it up
on google?

Thanks!

- Sam

#! /usr/bin/env python

# work.py module

class Borg:
    __shared_state = {}
    def __init__(self):
        self.__dict__ = self.__shared_state
        self.countone = 0

class One:
    def __init__(self):
        borg = Borg()
        borg.countone += 1

class Two:
    count = 0
    def __init__(self):
        self.count += 1

class Three:
    count = 0
    def __init__(self):
        Three.count += 1

fourcount = 0

class Four:
    def __init__(self):
        global fourcount
        fourcount += 1

def work1():
    junk = []
    for i in range(5):
        junk.append(One())
    return junk

def work2():
    junk = []
    for i in range(5):
        junk.append(Two())
    return junk

def work3():
    junk = []
    for i in range(5):
        junk.append(Three())
    return junk

def work4():
    junk = []
    for i in range(5):
        junk.append(Four())
    return junk

#! /usr/bin/env python

# test.py module

import unittest

import work

class WorkTestCase(unittest.TestCase):
    def testOne(self):
        b = work.Borg()
        b.countone = 0
        junk = work.work1()
        self.failUnlessEqual(len(junk), b.countone)

    def testTwo(self):
        work.Two.count = 0
        junk = work.work2()
        self.failUnlessEqual(len(junk), work.Two.count)

    def testThree(self):
        work.Three.count = 0
        junk = work.work3()
        self.failUnlessEqual(len(junk), work.Three.count)

    def testFour(self):
        work.fourcount = 0
        junk = work.work4()
        self.failUnlessEqual(len(junk), work.fourcount)

def buildall():
    return unittest.makeSuite(WorkTestCase, 'test')

if __name__ == '__main__':
    unittest.main('test', 'buildall')