Proposal: add vector arithmetic to array module

Paul Rubin phr-n2001 at nightsong.com
Tue Sep 25 12:39:53 EDT 2001

Chris Barker <chrishbarker at home.net> writes:
> > Huh?  Adding pointwise addition means you have to add eigenvalues?
>
> eigenvalues are not part of Numeric, they are in the LinearAlgebra
> modules (where they should be) The LnuearAlgebra module is generally
> distributed with Numeric, but that is part of the batteries included
> philosphy. Surely you wouldn't want people ot have to install yet
> another package to get Linear Algebra functionality?

If the linear algebra module is included with the NumPy package, then
eigenvalues are part of NumPy :).  I didn't even realize there was
a separate gizmo you have to import to get eigenvalues (I only played
with NumPy for a few minutes).

> > The reason I don't want to use NumPy is that it isn't included in
> > standard Python distributions.  It's yet another thing for the user
> > to download, and it's maintained and distributed by a separate group
> > of people than the Python maintainers.  All in all, it's harder to
> > deal with and there's more ways to go wrong.
>
> That is a very good argument for including NumPy in the standard
> library, not for duplicating its functionality in the library.

Are you proposing to eliminate the array module?  That's a serious
question--NumPy pretty much duplicates it, after all--any missing
array module features can easily be merged into NumPy.

> > If NumPy became part of standard Python, then I'd happily use it.
>
> Hopefully, it will happen.

> BTW, MacPython includes Numeric, and it is part of the extended module
> support of ActiveState Python, so it's really not hard for your users to
> download.

What if they're not using Macintoshes?

Actually, if we're discussing OS-specific distributions, it would be
good to be able to distribute Windows apps WITHOUT needing the user to
install Python.  That is, I'd like to release a single .exe that
includes my .pyc files, the Python interpreter core, and the minimal
set of libraries needed to make my app run.  Is that feasible with the
stuff you're describing?  I'm a near-total Windows ignoramus.