Timeout in socket module?

Drew Fisher drew at level3.net
Tue Sep 25 11:16:53 EDT 2001

Hello:

I seem to need some kind of python module that will allow me to
timeout socket connections during socket.gethostbyname () calls.  I
was digging around in deja and I found that Timothy O'Malley wrote a
module called timoutsocket.py.  I can't seem to find a copy of the
module anywhere (searches on google have only turned up links to his
webpage:  http://www.timo-tasi.org/python/timeoutsocket.py which
appears to be down)

Can anyone either  A)  show me where to get this module or B)  give me
a work around for using socket.gethostbyname with a timeout?

Thanks!

Drew Fisher
--
Hell is other people's Perl.