Simple process IO capture (Was: "shell-commands" and python!) - process.py (0/1)

Lee Harr missive at frontiernet.net
Sun Sep 23 17:17:40 EDT 2001

>     >>> output = process.run("echo hello")
>     >>> print output
>     hello
>     >>> print process.run("tr a-z A-Z", input="hello")
>     HELLO
>

> What do people think? Is this a useful idea?

I think it is beautiful. Quite pythonic in my view.

I was looking to do something like this just last week. This would
have been _very_ useful to me.

Not sure what the big hullabaloo is about creating a module which
will allow this sort of functionality from python. Personally, I
find shell scripts to be generally ugly and unmaintainable.

To do something similar from python would clearly be better.

I hope something like this eventually gets in to the standard
distribution.