scanf style parsing

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Thu Sep 27 21:57:24 EDT 2001

Me parece que Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> dijo:
> Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> >
> > I struggled with regex's for months.
>
> Was it the concepts you found difficult, or the syntax?
> The syntax conventionally used for REs is atrocious for
> anything beyond the simplest cases, IMO.

Actually, it was the concepts, IIRC.  I think I head a leg up as far as
syntax was concerned...Perl code makes sense to me.  <wink>

The only thing that throws me in syntax is when I swith from
Perl/Python.re syntax to Emacs/Vim syntax. ("Ok, the + uses a backslash,
but the * doesn't. Remember that, self.")

It's kind of like moving from Oregon to Los Angeles: you can do a lot
more, but you're likely to kill brain cells in the process.  <wink>

--
We're dumber than squirrels. We hear voices and do
what they command. I have broccoli in my socks.