Mac python and Carbon

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Mon Sep 17 19:58:18 EDT 2001

Richard Jones wrote:

> > Personally, I think AnyGUI is a pipe dream anyway... Why you would want
> > a wrapper around a wrapper around a wrapper around a tool kit is beyond
> > me:
> >
> > AnyGUI->wxPython->wxWindows->Win32|GTK|Carbon
> >
> > All you are going to get is a more limited subset of GUI functionality,
> > and probably worse performance. I really don't see the point.
>
> I got the feeling from the anygui project that there were less steps involved
> if you have the right wrappers. That is, there's anygui for win32, gtk, qt,
> etc. Adding Carbon would allow:
>
> AnyGUI->win32
> AnyGUI->Carbon
> AnyGUI->Qt

Well, wxWindows already wraps win32, and GTK, and Carbon, and Motif
(with OS2 on the way as well, and wxUniv rolling along to eliminate
another layer of wrappers) It doesn't do QT, but I'm having a hard time
figureing out why you would want that, as QT emulates win32 on windows,
and can be themed to look like all sorts of things on *nix, so yo might
as well use wxGTK. Or even wxUniv, which you can then theme to look like
what you want.

As far as I can tell, the reasons people generally choose one tookit
over the other are:

familarity
features
platform availabilty
perfomance
API preference
native look-and-feel

AnyGUI might address the nice API issue, and maybe platform
availability, but it can only be equal or worse on the others.

> I personally don't care for _all_ GUIs in this project, just win32, Qt/Gtk
> and Carbon :)

Then wxPython is for you!  It still needs a little help to get wxMac
(Carbon) wrapped for Python, but it's pretty close.

> Native Python GUI would be even better, but that is a monsterous project.
>
> Yep. Isn't that what anygui could become?

Perhaps, and Greg Ewing's project (which has inspired anyGUI) was headed
in that direction, but by trying to wrap ALL GUI toolkits, I think they
are off on the wrong foot.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,