Mac python and Carbon

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Mon Sep 17 16:03:52 EDT 2001

Richard Jones wrote:
> Just curious about where Carbon stands in the Grand Scheme of Mac Python.
>
> Ideally, I'd love to see it available to "regular" python (not the special
> one distributed as MacPython) just like other GUIs. That allowing it to then
> be available to anygui, which in turn allows us to develop kick-ass
> cross-platform win32/mfc and osx/carbon applications with ease :)
>
> Pipe dream?

Nope. I'm pretty sure Jack is planning on merging MacPython and Unix
Python on OS-X, so that the Mac stuff will just be extra modules... he's
making a lot of progress, check out the MacPython mailing list for more
info.

Personally, I think AnyGUI is a pipe dream anyway... Why you would want
a wrapper around a wrapper around a wrapper around a tool kit is beyond
me:

AnyGUI->wxPython->wxWindows->Win32|GTK|Carbon

All you are going to get is a more limited subset of GUI functionality,
and probably worse performance. I really don't see the point.

I you want a more Pythonic, cleaner interface for GUI programming, I do
see the point, but targeting ALL GUI toolkits seems like a difficult and
limiting idea. I would love to see a thicker wrapper around wxWindows,
for instance (wxWindows because it has the broadest support for various
platforms, including macOS and OS-X). The PythonCard project seems to be
making a nice start on this. A Native Python GUI would be even better,
but that is a monsterous project.

Anyway, clearly the AnyGUI contirbuters do think it's a good idea, so
maybe once it reaches some maturity, I will see the point.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.