bsddb3 vs zodb

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Sep 20 23:20:36 EDT 2001

Peter Hansen:
>Isn't DB3 a relational database?  Since ZODB is clearly not,
>we're going to end up just comparing the "pros and cons" of
>relational versus object-oriented databases, I think.

DB2 is a relational database from IBM.

dbm/ndbm/gdbm/Berkeley DBM/Sleepcat BSDDB are all
associative databases.  (I just made up that term. :)
They associate a key (a string) to a value (another
string).

For example, a mail server needs to know how to expand
an email alias into a set of addresses.  So it needs the
mapping
  alias -> list,of,email,addresses
and a fast way to look it up.

It doesn't need a full relational database, nor SQL.
Just simple key/value storage and lookup.

BSDDB3 is the 3'rd major release of BSDDB, the Berkely
DBM being developed by Sleepycat.  It offers a lot of
functionality.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com