Pythonwin and .NET

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Sat Sep 8 02:12:04 EDT 2001

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Mark Hammond wrote:

>Maan Hamze wrote:
>
>> This is a question for Mark Hammond.

>I honestly do not know where Python and Perl really will fit in this new
>world.  .NET imposes certain requirements on programs, so that the
>benefits of .NET can be realized.  However, these requirements can often
>work against languages such as Python.  The dynamic and introspective
>nature of Python is unlikely to be able to be exploited, unless .NET
>itself grows these same capabilities - and when .NET grows them, we can
>expect C# to also grow them.

I thought .NET has some kind of assembly-like bytecode, so Python could
just compile into it (like Jython to Java's).  If this is not true and
.NET's lowest level is higher than Java's bytecode level, .NET will not
make serious impact. Nobody will buy single highlevel language platform
even from MS. (However, who could imagine several years ago that MS
Windows will be 95% on the desktops?). No. This will not happen with
developers!

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Saturday, September 08, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/