pymacs! :-)

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Sep 4 14:25:19 EDT 2001

> > Second, I'd like to find a way for any function or variable
> > which is not defined in Python to be resolved within Emacs if
> > possible: the idea is to use Emacs elegantly from Python, using
> > Python syntax for function calls, without explicitly resorting to
> > `eval_lisp("LISP-EXPRESSION")'.

[Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk]

> I would use something like
>     lisp.variable_name
> where lisp is an object with a suitable __getattr__.

This traversed my mind.  I wanted to avoid such `lisp.' prefix, a bit
because they might become cumbersome, but mostly because they force users
to well remember if a function is implemented in LISP or not, and I would
prefer that this be made a transparent implementation detail.

On the other hand, thinking again about it, I wonder why I hesitate using
`emacs.point()', when it does not bother me to write `string.join(...)'.
There is indeed some name-space cleanliness at sticking to such prefixes.
I'll think more on this.  Thanks for the triggering!