Python and Zope

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Tue Sep 11 04:33:52 EDT 2001

Me parece que Oleg Broytmann <phd at phd.pp.ru> dijo:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 11:30:12PM +0000, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > >    We are talking about "Apache vs web-application servers". In this
> > > context modules are so like CGIs (forked and killed) so I don't need to
> > > make a distinction.
> >
> > We probably just have a Point-Of-View problem.  I'm thinking of CGI in
> > the strict sense of an application designed to produce web content using
> > STD filehandles and environment variables.  In all fairness, my ftpd
> > conforms to your (most recent) definition of CGI, as do half of the
> > daemons on my system.
>
>    In this "web-application server" context - they are! :) Because thay
> cannot hold a persistent DB connection.

I don't remember persistence of DB connections being mentioned in the
CGI spec.  I don't believe databases are mentioned at all.

The fact that they are not constantly running indefinitely does *not*
make them a subset, superset, or *any* kind of set of the Common
Gateway Interface.

In fact, to find a list of files on any system that qualify as CGI's
according to your most recent definition, just run the following command:

$ find / | grep -v 'mod_'

> > I probably took offense to the picture you painted of Apache, being a
> > ruthless, discompassionate Nazi of a daemon, kill arbitrarily, which
> > is, of course, not true.
>
>    If I have a module that have opened DB connection - how can I prevent
> Apache from killing the child (because I want to hold that connection
> open)?

Apache's process housekeeping is neither ruthless, nor arbitrary, nor
random (in any sense I've ever been aware of).

If nothing else, your tirade reflects your dislike of Apache's
housekeeping methods, and your disapproval of mod_(perl|python)'s
handling of persistent db connections.

However, your, shall we say, "flexibility" with the meaning of words is
reminiscent of Humpty Dumpty: "Words mean whatever I want them to mean."
Nevertheless, you have a luminous future in Microsoft's marketing
division.

With that in mind, what does the word *plonk* mean to you?

--
I am following my fish.
    -- Delirium, The Sandman