Stackless Python and Python 2.x

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Sun Sep 2 14:58:35 EDT 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:13:58 +1200, Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

>Michael Abbott wrote:
>>
>> I've seen Guido van Rossum quoted as being against this because it's
>> incompatible with the Java Virtual Machine (as I understood it).
>
>The other reason is that, by all accounts, if anyone
>other than Christian Tismer tries to do anything with
>the core code, their brain explodes.

I know you were being a bit tongue-in-cheek, however I
would like to point out that the conceptual leap to
understanding that first-class continuations is to
understand that they offer the programmer a direct
instrument by which to create a stack-safe dynamic
goto label which can cross function-definition boundaries.
They're really nothing more than an instrument by which
the programmer can force their own context-switch.

Stacklessness isn't strictly required for this, it's
just considerably more efficient.

C//