[OT] Strange IE5.5 Caching Behavior

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Sep 10 19:50:05 EDT 2001

Sorry about this post being off-topic, but c.l.py is the largest collection
of web-heads I have easy access to. If you know nothing about HTTP, please
ignore this.

I'm serving static content, looking at the client's "If-Modified-Since"
header, and returning a 304 response if the file's Last-Modified date is
before that. When I serve the content I include a "Last-Modified:" header to
identify the age of the file.

For some reason the incoming "If-Modified-Since" headers *always* seem to be
three minutes and 27 seconds before the "Last-Modified:" date of the file.
I've searched Google, and Microsoft's Knowledge Base, without finding
anything relevant.

If anyone knows what's causing this (and even better, how to fix it) I'd be
very grateful for a pointer.

regards
 Steve
--