Python as ActiveScripting language for IE

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Sep 16 15:08:32 EDT 2001

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Gerson Kurz wrote:

> I'm using Python as client-side scripting language in IE. It works
> really great! But, when I do this
[...]
> it seems that the Python runtime gets unloaded between the first two
> steps, only to be loaded back again later. The problem is that loading
[...]

There must (?) a good solution to this, but I don't know it.

I presume Java doesn't do this?  If so, since you'll have to install
Python on the clients anyway, you may as well install Java as well, and
run Jython instead, if that works around the problem.  When you figure
out how to get CPython to stick around, it should be easy to move back
again.

You may even be able to avoid any need to manually install things on the
client side, if the version of Java installed is good enough to let
Jython work.

John