Web Application Server in Python: which one to choose ?

Wade Leftwich wade at lightlink.com
Tue Sep 4 13:07:50 EDT 2001

paul at boddie.net (Paul Boddie) wrote in message news:<23891c90.0109040133.3eb7afa7 at posting.google.com>...

> Yes, this is where it's less true to say that "Zope is Python's killer

> app" than it is to say that "Zope is Zope's killer app". ;-) Zope is

> pretty much designed to be used at a higher level, or at least it used

> to be, with the intention that most of the work done in developing a

> Web site takes place using DTML manipulating objects which sit in the

> object database. DTML is powerful and reasonably nice (certainly nicer

> than *SP mechanisms) but has potentially been overloaded too much,

> leading to its current dubious reputation.

DTML scared me away from Zope, but ZPT (Zope Page Templates) brought
me back.

By using Python Scripts for application logic, and ZPT's for
presentation, you get a nice Pythonic subset of Zope.

I'm building an application now where the data lives in SQLServer,
application and presentation code are in the ZODB using the two
modules just mentioned, and it's hooked up with ZSQL methods.

Much of the ZPT development has been done by GvR, BTW . . .